Manus Kelly and Navigator Donall Barrett from County Donegal have swept to victory in the Carlow Stages Rally.
Based at the Seven Oaks Hotel, the Carlow Stages Rally, the third round of the Triton Showers National Rally Championship gave Donegal’s Manus Kelly and co-driver Donal Barrett with a debut win in a World Rally Car.
This is an extraordinary victory as it was Manus’ First Ever Stage Rally in a World Rally Car. (A Subaru S12B hired from Welsh Outfit Melvyn Evans Motorsport who coincidentally finished 7th O/A.)
A delighted Kelly told us:
“What a day…what a car…..and what a result”
The duo took victory from Roy White and James O’Brien by 9.9secs.
Group N victory went to Co.Tyrones Aiden Wray and Kieran McGrath.
The 2 wheel drive Challenge
(which is run alongside the main rally) was won by
Johnathan Pringle / Alan Keena,
they finished 9.3 seconds ahead of second 2wd Local crew of
David Condell / Eugene McGrath.
Pringle also won the Triton Showers Drive of the Day award.
There was a bit of drama on the penultimate stage for Peadar Hurson when his Subaru hit a wall and the car caught fire.
Last years winner, Wesley Patterson crashed on the same stage.
The NEXT round, The fourth round of the Triton Showers National Rally Championship, the Cavan Stages Rally takes place on Sunday May 29th.
TODAY’S TOP TEN FINISHERS AND TIMES.
1. M. Kelly/D. Barrett (Subaru WRC) 51m. 14.3s.
2. R. White/J. O’Brien (Ford Fiesta WRC) 51m. 24.2s.
3. T. Doyle/L. Moynihan (Subaru WRC) 51m. 46.0s.
4. D. O’Riordan/A. Hayes (Ford Fiesta WRC) 52m. 09.9s.
5. N. Maguire/E. Sherry (Subaru WRC) 52m. 31.0s.
6. M. Evans/M. Glennerster (Subaru WRC) 53m. 03.0s.
7. J. Pringle/A. Keena (Ford Escort) 53m. 27.5s.
8. S. Wood/K. Moriarty (Subaru WRC) 53m. 35.9s.
9. D. Condell/E. McGrath (Ford Escort) 53m. 36.8s.
10. S. McCann/D. Fleming (Subaru WRC) 54m. 00.0s.